John McCain has yet to issue a full, public release of his medical records and the media is finally putting some added pressure on him to do so. Several groups are calling for full disclosure.
Consider the following information from Robert Greenwald and Brave New Films.
- On Monday, in a front page story in The New York Times, medical correspondent Dr. Lawrence Altman catalogued precisely why this issue is so important.
- In response to the article in The New York Times, Joe Biden released his medical records (he’s perfectly healthy). Yet McCain, the candidate with the most cause for concern, still refuses to issue a meaningful disclosure. (Sarah Palin, it should be noted, also now refuses to release hers.)
- Yesterday, The New York Times’ editorial board weighed in.
- McCain had to answer a question about his health to a CBS interviewer yesterday.
- CNN’s Campbell Brown made the issue the focus of her commentary on Monday.
- The New York Post also weighed in.
- The Washington Post covered the story last weekend.
- CBS 5 in San Francisco ran this story.
- Even Scientific American took notice.
- In addition to this coverage, stories and opinion pieces have appeared in newspapers and radio in Florida, Virginia, Ohio, Indiana and other battleground states in the last few weeks.
It should be noted that Dr. Altman at The New York Times is the leading expert on the issue of disclosure of presidential medical records, having himself interviewed doctors for and examined the records of numerous candidates and incumbent presidents going back decades. His attention to this subject sends a strong signal to journalists all over the country that this is a critical issue to report on.
Visit their sister site The Real John McCain